[Users] Duplicate Resource Allocation

Gastón Keller gastonkeller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:07:28 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com> wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I understand the importance and desire of assigning specific resources to a container in certain situations. Namely, VPS's, web hosting, and the like. However, for internal purposes where resource consumption by any one container is not a concern, is there any harm in giving all containers the full resources of the host node? For example, keeping it simple, if the host node has 8GB of RAM, is there any harm is giving 4 separate containers 8GB of RAM each? The same question would apply for overallocation of vmguarpages as well, is there any harm in this?

Hi, Tim.

I think there wouldn't be any problem. Of course, you wouldn't be
taking advantage of having OpenVZ check whether a memory request
should be granted or denied (well... the check would occur, but the
limits would be so high that in practice the check wouldn't matter).

I'm not an experienced user of OpenVZ. Take my answer with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

--
Gastón Keller, M.Sc.
Ph.D. Student