[Users] More on making an OpenVZ template

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Sat Aug 20 12:53:29 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Sam Trenholme
<strenholme.usenet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am continuing the work of making a tiny OpenVZ template.  One
> discovery I have is that, for the OpenVZ tools to work, not only is it
> mandatory for the system to have the Bash shell, but also that /bin/sh
> has to be a symlink to Bash.  This is because the "vzctl" program
> prepends the contents of the Bash-only
> "/etc/vz/dists/scripts/functions" script to any script used by the
> container to configure the system, and there does not appear to be any
> way to configure a container to not use this Bash-only script.
>
> In other words, any OpenVZ template without /bin/sh being an alias for
> Bash can not be configured via the "vzctl" tools (nor the
> corresponding Proxmox/SolusVM/whataever tools that call "vzctl").
>
> This in mind, the next release of TinyVZ will include the Bash shell.
> I actually prefer Bash over Busybox's "ash" shell; I *really* miss the
> "!$" and "!*" shortcuts, as well as the "history" command, when using
> this minimal shell.
>
> Since this is an open source project I am not getting paid for, I have
> no timeline of when I will make another TinyVZ release, nor do I
> guarantee I will even make such a release.  Working on TinyVZ has
> taught me a lot about OpenVZ and hopefully is something that is
> useful.

This is a very useful for me, I was about to spend time on an openwrt
container, which does not use bash at all.

Where in the source code of vzctl do you see this requirement?

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403