[Users] Switching from VMWare to OpenVZ?

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Apr 12 18:45:24 EDT 2011

13.04.2011 2:42 пользователь <lists at yhmail.de> написал:

> Hello everybody,
>
> my workgroup and me do mostly simulations of complex organic compounds and
java programming. Since most of our programms run pretty unstable we have
been using VMWare to virtualize our Servers (Intel i7-920 Quad-Core/24GB
DDR3 RAM/4TB RAID5).

> A few months ago a colleague of mine tried OpenVZ and had a lot of
troubles setting it up.
> I think the most confusing part for him was the RAM/Swap-Management.
> So I thought before we try it again, we might just ask others if they have
a similar setup.

> Currently we have 4 VM with 5 GB RAM/15GB Swap each. Since there is a lot
calculation involved it is always hard to say how much memory will actually
be used.

> With OpenVZ we got the error "out of swap/memory" a lot.
>
> What kind of settings, limits would you recommend with OpenVZ for that
particular setup?

What OpenVZ kernel are you using? Also, see
http://wiki.openvz.org/Resource_shortage