[Users] Switching from VMWare to OpenVZ?

lists at yhmail.de lists at yhmail.de
Tue Apr 12 18:37:09 EDT 2011

Hello everybody,

my workgroup and me do mostly simulations of complex organic compounds
and java programming. Since most of our programms run pretty unstable
we have been using VMWare to virtualize our Servers (Intel i7-920
Quad-Core/24GB DDR3 RAM/4TB RAID5).

A few months ago a colleague of mine tried OpenVZ and had a lot of
troubles setting it up.
I think the most confusing part for him was the RAM/Swap-Management.
So I thought before we try it again, we might just ask others if they
have a similar setup.

Currently we have 4 VM with 5 GB RAM/15GB Swap each. Since there is a
lot calculation involved it is always hard to say how much memory will
actually be used.

With OpenVZ we got the error "out of swap/memory" a lot.

What kind of settings, limits would you recommend with OpenVZ for that
particular setup?

Thanks for your help,
Chris