[Users] cifs not supported on HW node for openvz centos kernel?

Arnold Hendriks a.hendriks at b-lex.nl
Sat Sep 11 12:53:24 EDT 2010

  Hi,

I'm using the 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.028stab070.4 kernel with CentOS 5.5,
but I'm having trouble mounting a smb server with cifs. Trying to mount
gives me the following error message:

# mount.cifs //fileserver.b-lex.com/arnold /mnt -o
user=arnold,password=arnold
mount error(1): Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I'm having the same problem on a machine with an older redhat/openvz
kernel: 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.028stab069.6.
If I use the centos standard kernel, mount.cifs works fine.

I'm executing the command on the hardware node. An strace confirm the
mount() syscall is returning EPERM. cifs is listed in /proc/filesystems.
As far as I can tell, no network traffic is being sent to the smb server
at all.

Is cifs not supported with the redhat openvz kernel? Or is it supposed
to work and should I be looking elsewhere for the cause?

Arnold Hendriks