[Users] OpenVZ guest device passthrough

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sun Nov 21 23:00:53 EST 2010

Hello,

I've been happily using openvz and proxmox (with only openvz guests) for
some time now.  Thank you very much for the fantastic work!

I have a desire to pass through some PCI and USB devices to a USB guest.
Is this possible? I read the man page for vzctl and saw

   --devnodes device:[r][w][q]|none
               Give  the  container  an access (r - read, w - write, q -
disk quota management, none - no access) to a device designated by the
special file /dev/device. Device file is created in a container by
vzctl. Example: vzctl set 777 --devnodes sdb:rwq.

but this seemed oriented towards disk drives. I'm not sure how to
reference a PCI or USB device.

Searching around the net, I saw that KVM seems to support USB/PCI
passthrough. Does OpenVZ (or I should say proxmox with kernel
Linux knel-prod-proxmox2 2.6.32-4-pve #1 SMP Thu Oct 21 09:35:29 CEST
2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux) support arbitrary device pass through?

Thanks!

Please let me know if any additional information is required.

--
Charles N Wyble
(818)280-7059 charles at knownelement.com
President & CEO Known Element Enterprises