HA: [Users] strange network problem

Marat Stanichenko mstanichenko at parallels.com
Mon Mar 15 12:16:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

as far as I understand, your network configuration is based on simple venet0 interface.
Is that true? I suppose that you are faced with arp-problem but could you please elaborate
your network configuration a little bit so one can understand what the exact environment is.
It may be important if you are using several route tables.
"ip a l", "ip  route list table all", "ip rule list", "arp -n" would be enough I suppose.

Let me give you a hint so that you will be able to cope with the problem by yourself.
venet0 is working according the following principle. If a remote machine is willing to communicate
with a VE it send "arp-who has" request. This type of request reaches a HN and the HN is sending
"arp reply" to the remote machine (that's why "arp -n" output should contain information about VE).
Then the remote machine sends network packets to the HN but because of the additional route
(see "ip route list" output) all packets are going inside VE through the HN. That's the principle of venet0
interface.

To catch the problem I recommend you using "tcpdump" utility.

Stanichenko Marat