[Users] Cannot stop or restart container

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Tue Mar 30 15:53:01 EDT 2010

Hey guys. I reported a bug some months ago, not being able to stop and
restart a container, getting a timeout instead. When I reported the bug
months ago, I was unable to replicate it at the time. But here it is
once again: I cannot stop or restart the VE.

This clip shows the results which I see:

# vzctl restart Customer
Restarting container
Stopping container ...
Unable to stop container: operation timed out

# vzlist Customer
CTID      NPROC STATUS  IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
   84          3 running -               Customer

The 3 processes, I don't know what they are but they may be related to
this, and may be a clue: After the initial vzctl restart, it got down to
1 process before it timed out. I ran "vzctl exec Customer ps ax" and now
I notice that the NPROC increments each time I do this. However from the
HN, "ps ax | grep ps" only shows the one 'ps' which I am running, not
the ones in the VE.

Any thoughts on how I can finally stop this thing and restart it? Note
that this is a production HN with production VEs, so rebooting it is not
an attractive option.

HN OS is Fedora 9
Kernel is 2.6.24.ovz009.1
vzctl-3.0.23-1.x86_64
vzctl-lib-3.0.23-1.x86_64

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."