[Users] question

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Mar 25 19:05:15 EDT 2010

Mattias,

----- "mattias" <mj at mjw.se> wrote:
> Only a short question
> Are openvz customed to run on  rhel / centos and not debian Iven if
> there
> are packages for debian
> I meen Now i run a mail server with openvz
> Not hard to setup on rhel
> But on debian
> On debian it was inpossible

I believe you are asking if OpenVZ works well on a Debian host node?  The answer to that is yes, as we have quite a few users using Debian and Ubuntu host nodes.  They do occasionally run into problems because the vast majority of them use kernels that are based on development branches of the OpenVZ kernel rather than stable branches.

If you also were asking if CentOS/RHEL is required to run OpenVZ?  The answer to that is no... although it does run quite well given the fact that the stable branches of the OpenVZ kernel are based on RHEL kernels.  That happens to be my preferred distro anyway (RHEL, CentOS and Fedora) so I don't have a problem with that.

If you are asking what runs well as a container?  The answer to that is all of the official OS Templates provided by the OpenVZ project and a large percentage of the contributed OS Templates.  I must admit that I mainly use CentOS and Fedora but in testing I haven't had any problems with Debian or Ubuntu containers.  I've had a user with a Gentoo container for a while who was very happy with it and now another user with an ArchLinux container who hasn't complained any.

I have seen a few people having problems with the network setup for the newest Ubuntu OS Template but I have been unable to duplicate that problem.

I do want to stress though that a lot of the experience one has relies on the OS Templates you use... and staying up-to-date with the OpenVZ kernel and user utilities.  I have seen users using ancient OS Templates provided by service providers that had problems.  I have seen users with older kernels and tools having problems.  If your packages are distro provided, rather than coming from the OpenVZ project, they are less likely to be current.  So, in that regard, since the OpenVZ Project runs official yum repos for RHEL/CentOS, RHEL/CentOS host nodes are more likely to be current.  I have heard complains about third-party repos and distro provided repos lagging behind... and people having problems.

I'm glad you are working now and the problem is behind you... so I'm guessing we won't have to dreg up the past... but if you want to we can.  You'll just have to provide a lot of details... for us to have any chance of being helpful.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street