[Users] LiveCD OpenVZ

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Wed Jun 23 11:09:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 03:10:31AM -0700, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> Am trying to use the livecd option in
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/live_CD (CentOS) after futile attemps
> to get openvz working using other methods. While I can boot the
> 2.6.9-42.livecd.c4 kernel, I just can't boot 2.6.18-028stab035  or
> other flavors required for OpenVZ. In this case kernel and initrd load
> into memory but after that I don't see anything on the console :(
>
> Has anyone faced similar issues with these stable releases?

I am sorry for not addressing your specific question (I've never tried
the CentOS live CD), but why don't you try the currently-maintained Owl
live CD instead?  If you run into any issues with that (although you
should not - it works very well for us indeed), we'd be happy to help
you and we'll consider fixing any issues there might be.

The Owl live CD is the third option listed at:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/live_CD

It contains newer versions of both the OpenVZ kernel and the vz* tools
than the other two options do.  You may also download from:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
http://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/current/iso/

And you may consider the templates from:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/current/vztemplate/

(or any other pre-created OpenVZ container templates).

Alexander