[Users] Migration after kernel upgrade

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 9 22:34:26 EDT 2010

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering about the kernel version requirements when migrating a
> container from one HN to another HN.
>
> Suppose I have 2 HN's with the exact same kernel. I have one
> container, running on one of these HN's which I don't want to bring
> down. Some time
> later a kernel update comes out. I upgrade the HN which is idle.
>
> Will it be possible to migrate the container online to the idle HN
> after the kernel upgrade?
>
> If not, how am I supposed to prevent downtime to this container
> without missing critical kernel upgrades?
>
> Thanks for helping!

Generally I haven't had a problem migrating from one machine to another of the same branch (ie RHEL4 to RHEL4, or RHEL5 to RHEL5).  Others might work but I haven't tried them.  For the last couple of years all of my machines have usually been only one minor release behind each other as I practice the scenario where there is an upgrade released, I migrate the containers, upgrade, reboot, migrate back.  Works for me.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street