[Users] OpenVZ inside VMware?

Chris Bennett chris at ceegeebee.com
Tue Jul 13 07:26:48 EDT 2010

Hi Roman,
I've implemented OpenVZ in a VM (Centos 5 based) around 5-6 times for
customers now.  The use cases I had were for convenience - e.g. it
would have been a single server / VM with a number of roles installed
on it.  I'd use a container, which gives me much greater flexibility
to rapidly provision test instances, or expand my server footprint
without requesting another VM (in the cases where I don't have access
to the VM infrastructure directly).

Plus in some instances I like to create containers per role to
minimise interference between services, and OpenVZ's small overheads
make that very justifiable.. Doing the equivalent in VMWare or any
other virtualisation solution makes me cringe.

My deployments have never had performance bottlenecks to worry about
either, so I can't comment on whether you should do this for 10's of
VZ containers - my hunch is that it'll run just fine.

Good luck, and if you discover anything useful along the way, please
report back.

Regards,
Chris Bennett
cgb