[Users] OpenVZ inside VMware?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 13 06:32:40 EDT 2010

Hi

Our institution forces us linux admins to get rid of all our physical
hardware machines and only wants to maintain VMware virtual machines.
Since we built our whole linux infrastructure based on OpenVZ and
optimized the maintenance of our infrastructure with a lot of OpenVZ
specific scripts, we absolutely don't want to abandon OpenVZ.

Since the computational (and memory and I/O) overhead of OpenVZ seems
neglectible, we thought about transferring only the HNs to VMware
virtual machines, while keeping all containers running in their HNs, so
that the switch can be done with minimal effort and we are still able to
make use of the advantages of OpenVZ.

Before doing so, we would like to hear some opinions about running
OpenVZ HNs as VMware virtual machines. Is there anything that one needs
to take care of in this particular setup?

First tests exhibited no issues at all. Even compiling the VMwareTools
kernel modules into the openvz debian kernel was no problem and seems to
work well.

Thanks in advance for sharing opinions.

Roman