[Users] New Kernel Patch

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Jan 16 15:33:09 EST 2010

Dietmar,

----- "Dietmar Maurer" <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
> Sorry, but so far we only tested on Debian Lenny. But I guess it works
> on Debian Squeeze as well.

Suno, want to give that a try?

> You missed the fact that the OpenVZ RHEL/Centos kernel already includes
> quite good KVM  support - we did not changed that. RHEL/Centos users can
> simply use the OpenVZ kernel (it already has KVM support - only KSM does
> not work).
[...]
> "RHEL kernel for Debian" is the RHEL kernel - nothing changed (its
> only a deb instead of a rpm)!
[...]
> They have a separate package for the kvm userspace tools - that's all.
> Besides KVM should work without problems on the OpenVZ kernel - simply try.

I was thinking that might be the reality of it but since I haven't given it a try yet... my confusion still remained.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I'll have to give it a try soon in the near future.

> I still wonder why you do not use debian ;-)

Probably for similar reasons you don't use Red Hat-based distros. :)  I originally wrote a long paragraph in response but decided that if I included it, it would only help degrade this currently very productive discussion... not that I said anything negative as I have a lot of respect for Debian.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street