[Users] Host shutdown hangs on vz service stop

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Fri Jan 1 15:16:40 EST 2010

> Unless each VM is stopped from inside it (usually using halt), stopping
> the container doesn't manage to stop it most of the time, it just blocks.

Does it give a timeout? I had an issue before, where "vzctl stop XXX"
would eventually time out, leaving the VE in an unpleasant state: no
processes left, but not stopped so it can't be restarted. Does that
sound familiar?

For that one, "vzcfgvalidate" showed that I had mistakes in some limits
and correcting the VE config corrected the issue. We never knew why
these mistakes would cause stops to timeout, but it did work.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."