[Users] Host shutdown hangs on vz service stop

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 1 03:30:34 EST 2010

I'm finding that when the host node is being shut down, the vz service
often hangs on stopping. I only have one test VM running. If I vzctl
enter the vm and issue halt, it stops cleanly. Doing shutdown -h seems
more unreliable.

Unless each VM is stopped from inside it (usually using halt), stopping
the container doesn't manage to stop it most of the time, it just blocks.

Thus in turn makes the vz service block on shutdown. Is this a known
issue? Are there any configuration options that could be affecting this?
As it is, the teardown process doesn't seem to be particularly robust.

I'm using CentOS 5.4 guests and host if that makes any difference.

On a separate-ish note, it might be worth fixing the CentOS 5.x
template's rc.sysinit - it tries to do an awful lot of things that don't
work in an OpenVZ container (e.g. udev, initializing random seed,
accessing hwclock, and trying to access /proc/misc with doesn't exist in
the guest). It's only a case of commenting out a few lines, but it would
make a big difference in terms of appearing as a more stable, polished
and mature solution, especially for those of us running with the
(incredibly useful) init-logger patch that allow the output of init to
be captured.

Thanks.

Gordan