[Users] VE loses connectivity

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Sun Mar 15 13:25:22 EDT 2009

> in a period of time some of my VE's (both on subnet1 and
> subnet2) loses connections.

I've had a long-standing problem, as well, with HNs and VPSs randomly
losing connectivity for seconds at a time. It's been enough to set off
Nagios, to delay SMTP, etc.

My workaround (I won't call it a "solution") was to write a simple
"gratuitous ARP daemon" or "garpd" This works on the same principle as
you discovered: if I retransmit ARP, it solves the problem for a little
while.

If you want the garpd code, assuming the folks here can't provide a real
fix, I'm glad to post it to the list and/or wiki.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security