[Users] Directory structure of VE on host

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Mar 10 11:39:21 EDT 2009

Andrew,

The private directory is the physical storage locateion.  The root directory is where a container that is running mounts its private directory.  If a container isn't running then the root directory will be empty.

So, you'd want to backup up the private directory.

----- "Andrew Boag" <red at red.geek.nz> wrote:

> I'm running openvz on an ubuntu 8.0.6 server box. Working well and I'm
>
> really enjoying being able to script up new VE's when I need them.
>
> I'm just trying to figure out the contents of /var/lib/vz (where I'm
> storing the VE's)
>
> I see 'private' and 'root' which both look like the file system of the
>
> VE. (they contain the VE ID number, then what looks like the file
> system
> of the VE).
>
> If I wanted to back up the file system of the VE (happy to stop the VE
>
> while the happens), what should I back up???
>
> Or can someone explain the difference between private and root?
>
> Cheers

Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street
Belgrade, MT 59714