[Users] VPS with diferent subnets

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Thu Jun 25 19:30:35 EDT 2009

> another subnet available but I can't  migrate my actual VPS, is posible
> that I can have some VPS with one subnet and others VPS with anothers
> subnets.

Absolutely. We have 5 subnets and 4 HNs, and the combination of HNs and
IPs is entirely arbitrary. Huzzah for proxy arp, eh?

I do have some odd issues now and then, which I suspect make this not a
great idea even though it does work.

One: I have to send out gratuitous ARP (I wrote a garpd if you want it)
or else HNs tend to forget who has which IPs.

Two: Traffic between subnets and between HNs still seems to transit the
router; this means double-transiting our cable to the router.

So I don't know that using mixed subnets is necessarily a great idea for
production use. If anybody has advice on the matter, my eyes are wide
open too!

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security