[Users] problem with console device in a VE

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jul 16 03:17:50 EDT 2009

frank <frank at si.ct.upc.edu> writes:

> we have legato backup agent installed on a VE, but when we try to start it
> we get the following messages:
>
> [root at radi log]# /etc/init.d/networker start
> /etc/init.d/networker: line 20: /dev/console: No such device

[...]

> Any suggestions?

Rewrite the init script, or more likely the LSB logging infrastructure that it
uses, to send those messages somewhere useful rather than to /dev/console.

The logger(1) utility, especially in 'append to file' mode, is probably a good
choice for implementing this.

That way you don't lose the console messages, but store them somewhere that is
per-VE, and is useful.

Otherwise, early in the boot process replace /dev/console with a regular file
or, better, a fifo, and attach a process that does something useful with that
to capture "console" output for the VE.

Regards,
        Daniel

...or, best, write a standard little shim that OpenVZ can ship to do this
automatically for all their domains, making life a little better for everyone
involved.