[Users] Re: vzsplit does not work

Peter Thomassen mail at peter-thomassen.de
Wed Jan 7 16:07:57 EST 2009

Scott,

Scott Dowdle schrieb:
> I don't think container scheduling is as flexible (I don't know the details) nor the CPU control.  There are problems with checkpointing and live migration doesn't work so well.  I haven't used 2.6.24 myself but I'm going from reports from people I trust.

I'm not going to use these features. Do you think there any other
problems to expect during the normal OpenVZ operation?

> There have been many bugs fixes and additions made to vzctl from 3.0.11 to current (3.0.22) and I believe some the changes were security related... so I'm not sure why Debian hasn't updated vzctl.

Debian does not upgrade packages to new versions during the stable
cycle, but only release security updates for the package version that
has been shipped with stable. If possible and necessary, security fixes
are backported from new versions. But I have not found any serious
security bugs on bugs.debian.org.

>> The kernel packages mentioned in the Wiki are packaged in March and May,
>> resp. I prefer packages that are maintained more frequently (for
>> security updates etc.).
>
> I'd recommend you contact the packagers of those and voice your concerns and see if they could come up with a more recent package.

I'm going to do that in some days. :-)

Thanks again,
Peter