[Users] Re: vzsplit does not work

Peter Thomassen mail at peter-thomassen.de
Tue Jan 6 20:15:06 EST 2009

Hi.

Scott Dowdle schrieb:
> ----- "Peter Thomassen" <mail at peter-thomassen.de> wrote:
>> kernel is 2.6.26-bpo.1-openvz-amd64 from etch-backports (Debian)
>> vzctl is 3.0.11-14, from Debian etch.
>
> That is an odd mix of versions.  2.6.26 is the kernel in the upcoming Debian release but it is NOT based on a stable OpenVZ branch so your mileage may vary.  The current stable branches are RHEL-4 2.6.9, RHEL-5 2.6.18, and vanilla 2.6.18.  Rumor has it that the Parallels folks are working on 2.6.27 as the next target stable branch but we'll see how that goes.
>
> The current version of vzctl is 3.0.23.  Historically the packages provided by Debian have not been very good... mainly because they don't update them.  As a result the OpenVZ project has a repo of Debian packages.  If you want to use Debian on your host node I'd recommend using the packages provided by the OpenVZ project.  You can find info here:

Debian has vzctl version 3.0.22 for their upcoming release. But I want
to avoid upgrading the whole system to a beta state. The kernel I am
using, 2.6.26, is from Debian backports, i.e. it's backported from the
upcoming release to the stable one ("Etch"). There is a special openvz
package for this kernel, so I would have expected that it works together
with other packages from "Etch".

For reasons explained below, I decided not to use the .deb packages
mentioned in the OpenVZ wiki. I got all virtual machines running (manual
config), and I will use vzctl only to enter a machine.
So the question is: Are there any problems to expect while just running
OpenVZ with the 2.6.26-bpo.1-openvz-amd64 kernel I am using?

> http://wiki.openvz.org/Installation_on_Debian
>
> Other Debian related wiki pages:
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Debian
>
> I myself prefer RHEL or CentOS which are good matches given the OpenVZ stable branches but there are a lot of folks using OpenVZ on Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Arch, and ALTLinux just to name a few.

I'm stuck to Debian because a migration to another distro would cause
significant downtime, and I have no hardware to use temporarily. The
kernel packages mentioned in the Wiki are packaged in March and May,
resp. I prefer packages that are maintained more frequently (for
security updates etc.).

Thanks for your help, Scott.

Peter