[Users] Some issues with vzpkg2

Miguel Filho miguel.filho at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:16:51 EST 2009

Hi there,

I'm playing with vzpkg2 and vztmpl, using the most recent code from
the git repository.

Stock OpenVZ kernel and tools from Debian Lenny.

I've built and installed all packages.

1) I was getting this error early on:

[cache-os] ERROR: Cannot create /var/lib/vz/lock/100001.lck lockfile
[cache-os] ERROR: Can't find free VE ID

I've found out that I didn't have the `lockfile` command and the lock
function was failing, but there was no error regarding the missing
command. I've found that the `lockfile` command comes with procmail,
so I installed it and problem solved.

Looking further I've found the dependencies on procmail and gawk in
the spec file. Please consider adding them as a dependency on the
Debian control file too, since Debian comes with old awk by default
and not gawk. Consider adding yum too.

2) After pulling out some hair to find the source for pkg-cacher (not
mentioned on the wiki) and installing it, I got this error latter on
building a Fedora 9 template:

/var/lib/vz/template/fedora/config/install-post: line 8:
NO_PKG_CACHER: unbound variable

This error seams to happen because there is `set -o nounset` on the
install-post script, and the variable NO_PKG_CACHER was not set.

I did some `egrep NO_PKG_CACHER` on all source code and couldn't find
anywhere to configure it.

I did this small hack just to make it work:

export NO_PKG_CACHER=""

Where this parameter should be configured?

3) During the troubleshooting, I've edited vzpkgcache and changed
DEBUG_LEVEL from 3 to 4. Although I couldn't see the log messages
available in the `functions` or `cache-os` scripts.

In vzpkgcache I've changed:

DEBUG_LEVEL=3

to:

export DEBUG_LEVEL=4

And then I could see all debug messages on the screen and in the log file.

I believe that did made the variable available to all scripts executed
latter on.

4) After the template was finally built, I created a container, tried
entering it and got the notorious "Unable to open pty: No such file or
directory
".

Mounting it manually did the trick as usual: vzctl exec 101 mount -t
devpts none /dev/pts

Looking in the fedora install-post script, I've found this:

# Mount /dev/pts
# FIXME is that needed in 2.6 kernel?
# echo "none    /dev/pts    devpts  rw  0 0" >> $VE_ROOT/etc/fstab

I comment the echo line out, recreated the template, recreated the
container and then it worked fine.

For now that's it! Great tool!

Regards,

Miguel