[Users] Re: vzpkg2

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Fri Sep 12 17:54:25 EDT 2008

Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I'm trying to play with vzpkg2. Here are some random problems I found
> so far.
>

> 1. I am trying to install the beast on Fedora 7 x86_64 system. This is
> what I see:
>
> /usr/share/vzpkg2/cache-os: line 164:
> /usr/lib/vzctl/scripts/vps-create: No such file or directory
>
> The thing is vps-create is located in /usr/lib64/vzctl/scrpts on an
> x64 box (vzctl-lib-3.0.22-1.x86_64.rpm). This was never a problem
> because vzpkg didn't work on x86_64. Now this needs to be fixed, I
> guess the workaround is to check lib64 first and use it if available.
> Patch (0001-*) is attached.

I am also testing on an x86_64 machine and vzctl/scripts is still
installed in /usr/lib.  This must be a change in the never released
version of vzctl.  I don't think this change is correct.  /usr/lib
should be for 32 bit and "Architecture-Independent" files, /usr/lib64 is
for 64 bit only "Architecture Dependent" files.

> 2. In git commit 2fdcbfc56b4d823ff085e80ec79828f67b5de5a9 you have
> added %{dist} to the value of Release: field of vzpkg.spec. This is a
> good thing, since it makes .spec file to be more
> Fedora-packaging-guidelines compatible. Then in commit
> 0fe151bd07301c78c85a319d683c3e7fd9117f38 you are removing it.
>
> The proper way is to put %{?dist} so if it's not set then it will
> expand to empty string. Patch (0002-*) is attached.

I know about the %(?dist), in fact I use it in the add-ons spec files.
However vzpkg is not distribution specific and there is no reason to
build separate binary rpms for each distribution and each release of the
distribution.

> 3. There are a few problems with setting VZPKG_CACHE_HOST in
> /etc/vz/vz.conf
>
> (a) From my POV, vzpkg should work (maybe suboptimal and inefficient,
> but it should) without any additional settings. Now it's not so -- you
> have to specify VZPKG_CACHE_HOST manually. It should be optional.

With a bit of work I can generate default values in an install script.
But it is really hard to figure out a default static IP address needed
to do an template update for Debian.

> (b) vz.conf man page belongs to vzctl, while this parameter belongs to
> vzpkg. It's a bit unnatural.
I didn't find it unnatural since the vzctl package is really just the
user-mode component of OpenVZ.  The naming of the file vz.conf rather
than vzctl.conf reinforces that.

One thing I could do is create a vzpkg.conf in /etc/vz.  It could have
the global defaults, then have the template version of vzpkg.conf
override it per distribution or distribution/release.

> (c) Protocol (http://) is explicitly prepended to a value of
> VZPKG_CACHE_HOST. This makes it impossible to use anything other than
> http:// (i.e. ftp://, file://, whatever).
This is a simple change in the vzpkg.conf files.

> (d) This is a global parameter, which means it's not possible to have
> a per-distro cache/repo in different places. This is the case for me
> -- there are repo mirrors of pretty much every distro in my LAN, but
> they are not on the same server.

See my response to point (b)