[Users] New pkg-cacher and vztmpl2 [testing results]

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Nov 18 13:56:51 EST 2008

Robert,

I upgraded my test box to your latest versions of vzpkg2, pkg-cacher and the vztmpl packages.  Test box: HP DL380 G5 with 32GB of RAM running RHEL 5.2 x86_64.  Config used to build containers was a generic generated by vzpslit -n 32.  I used pkg-cacher in stand alone mode running on the host node.

OS Template Build Testing
-------------------------

I ran build tests on all 48 combinations.  Of the 48, 6 would not build.  Here are the ones that wouldn't build and their error messages:

1) debian-sarge-i386-default
	E: Failed getting release file http://openvz2.cs.montana.edu:3142/debian-archive/dists/sarge/Release

2) debian-sarge-i386-minimal
	E: Failed getting release file http://openvz2.cs.montana.edu:3142/debian-archive/dists/sarge/Release

3) fedora-8-i386-small
	mv: cannot stat `/vz/root/100001/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo': No such file or directory
	ERROR: Script install-post failed

4) fedora-8-x86_64-small
	mv: cannot stat `/vz/root/100001/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo': No such file or directory
	ERROR: Script install-post failed

5) fedora-9-i386-small
	mv: cannot stat `/vz/root/100001/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo': No such file or directory
	ERROR: Script install-post failed

6) fedora-9-x86_64-small
	mv: cannot stat `/vz/root/100001/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo': No such file or directory
	ERROR: Script install-post failed

Oddly enough fedora-7-*-small built just fine.  I wonder what happened with debian-sarge.

OS Template Testing
-------------------

After building 42 OS Templates, I created containers out of all of the ones marked "default" assuming that if the "default" flavor worked the "minimal" ones would too.

I did the following to test the containers:

1) Enter test - I verified I could "vzctl enter" the container and that the pty's were in working order

2) Network test - I verified that the venet0:0 interface within the container had the assigned address and that networking was functional

3) Server app test - If it was running apache (CentOS and Fedora) I verified that I was able to pull up the default webpage from another machine on the network

4) Package manager test - I tested the package manager by installing mc, nano and (if needed) psmisc.  By default each container was configured to use the pkg-cacher cache and package manager performance was snappy.

I ran into ZERO failures.. all OS Templates worked wonderfully.

List of working OS Templates:
-----------------------------

centos-4-i386-default
centos-4-i386-minimal