[Users] Some questions about OpenVZ's roadmap

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Nov 12 19:20:14 EST 2008

Santi,

I'm sure Kir will follow up with more official answers but here is my understanding... as a fellow community member.

----- "Santi Saez" <santi at usansolo.net> wrote:
> I have read some news about pushing OpenVZ code into Linux
> mainstream.. what's the current status and estimated date?

None of the existing OpenVZ code is being submitted to mainline.  All of the container code coming form the Virtuozzo / OpenVZ developers is all new code.  How long will it take?  Well, it is a consensus effort with a number of developers including those outside of Virtuozzo / OpenVZ... namely developers from IBM and Google.  From what I've been able to gather, it'll take between 1-3, or 3-5 years... depending on who you talk to and what level of done you want.

> Is there any plans from Parallels to release non-free code from
> Virtuozzo kernel, such as VZFS?

It is my understanding that VZFS requires updates to a number of userland tools and OpenVZ doesn't want to have to maintain those tools for various distros... so I don't think they have any plans of adding VZFS to OpenVZ.  I'm pretty active on the #openvz IRC channel and I haven't seen too many folks say they were really wanting VZFS in OpenVZ.

> Any plans to support NAS filers into /vz partition? Due working method
> of simfs/vzfs seems that supporting NFS/CFS is complicated.. but I
> want to know if there is interest in providing this support?

What are you looking for here?  I don't think there is much that is OpenVZ specific to your question.  I believe the RHEL-based kernels support iSCSI already... but I'm not sure.  Anyone?  Are you looking for changes to the vzmigration script that makes it aware of shared storage?

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street