[Users] Mainstream progress?

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Mar 13 08:12:12 EDT 2008

Pavel,

Please correct/enlarge me if there's anything missing/incorrect.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the ongoing merge of OpenVZ-based lightweight virtualization into
> mainline Linux seems to be progressing nicely and I have a few questions
> about it:
> - How usable will net namespaces be in 2.6.25? I'm especially interested
> in assigning a real hardware ethernet device to a VE.

I guess some network namespace stuff is NOT completed in upcoming 2.6.25
(a lot of stuff done, but not finished)

For 2.6.26, it will be more-or-less working, with just a few exceptions
such as conntracks and IPv6 -- maybe.

> - Will there be an OpenVZ patch or against 2.6.25?

As of now we do not plan to have one. Porting to each mainstream version
is too much work to do -- instead we concentrate on
(1) merging stuff to mainstream
(2) supporting our stable kernels
(3) stabilizing 2.6.24 (for now)

> - Do you expect net namespace/virtualization work to be completely
> merged in 2.6.26?

As said before, we guess that network namespaces will be more or less
useable in 2.6.26.

> - Which OpenVZ features will not make it to mainline in the 2.6.26
> timeframe?

A lot. Network namespaces is just one piece of a pie.

To paint in big strokes: resource management and live migration are
still on our todo list.

Resource management: some stuff is in -mm kernel, need to add much more.
Will work on that after finishing with net namespaces.

Live migration: this is much more far perspective, we haven't even
started to discuss that seriously on containers@ list.