[Users] Mainstream progress?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 12 22:20:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

the ongoing merge of OpenVZ-based lightweight virtualization into
mainline Linux seems to be progressing nicely and I have a few questions
about it:
- How usable will net namespaces be in 2.6.25? I'm especially interested
in assigning a real hardware ethernet device to a VE.
- Will there be an OpenVZ patch or against 2.6.25?
- Do you expect net namespace/virtualization work to be completely
merged in 2.6.26?
- Which OpenVZ features will not make it to mainline in the 2.6.26
timeframe?

Some of the questions above probably can't be answered without guessing,
but a good guess is better than no information and I'd appreciate any
status update newer than the OpenVZ blog entry from 2008-01-26.

Thanks,
Carl-Daniel