[Users] Gentoo baselayout2 doesn't start inside container

David Sparks dave at ca.sophos.com
Tue Jun 24 13:05:51 EDT 2008

Arjan Schrijver wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm having some trouble with my Gentoo OpenVZ container. I wanted to
> install the new baselayout2 version, so I could ditch
> baselayout-vserver. But now when I start the container, the 'init boot'
> process takes all CPU power but doesn't continue the booting process. Is
> there anybody running the new baselayout inside an OpenVZ container?
> I've tested inside a Virtuozzo container, and that worked perfectly fine.

I had no luck getting baselayout-2 running with Openvz.  I did have luck with
taking a regular stage 3, un-taring and chrooting into it, unmerging udev and
creating static nodes under /dev for null, zero, console, ptmx, pytp0, ... and
then re-taring it back into a openvz template.  So far it is working beautifully.

I don't understand why Gentoo releases separate openvz and vserver stages when
a small script can convert a regular stage 3?

ds