[Users] simfs 2tb limit?

Garith Dugmore garith at saao.ac.za
Tue Jul 29 09:24:13 EDT 2008

Hi Benoit,

Benoit Branciard wrote:
> I can't answer to your question about simfs size limit (or may it be a
> quota limit ? Try without quota at all, i.e. without the "SIZELIMIT"
> option in $CTID.conf file...), but you certainly could overcome any
> size limit on the container root by setting some secondary mount
> points below the container tree, either bind mounts or plain device
> mounts. The /etc/vz/conf/$CTID.mount file is meant for this purpose.
>
> Note that this impacts ability to "vzmigrate" your container, unless
> you rewrite a vzmigrate-like script with ability to migrate secondary
> mount points, or unless the mounted device is also available on the
> target host under the same name...
I considered this but unfortunately I have a partition layout as follows:

df -Th on HN:
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1     ext3     92G  1.4G   86G   2% /
tmpfs        tmpfs    4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev         tmpfs     10M   40K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs        tmpfs    4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3      xfs    4.7T  269G  4.5T   6% /data

ls -la /vz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2008-07-07 14:30 /vz -> /data/vz

My plan then was to keep all containters in /data essentially. If I
understand mount correctly bind will make the whole /data available to
the relevant container instead of it being controlled by a specific quota.

Another option I had was to repartition and make a specific /dev/sdaX
available to the one container. This would work but does limit the
options I have - If I needed more disk space on another container at a
later stage I'm constrained by this setup.

Thanks for reply.