[Users] RHEL3 and other older distributions

Bailey, Darragh dbailey at hp.com
Tue Jan 29 07:38:59 EST 2008

Looking to get RHEL3 working as a VE, and I believe there are various things that would have to be done to accomplish this.

1) Take a rpm 4.2.* src rpm and modify it in the same way as vzrpm43 and vzrpm44.
2) Create a new OS template to match the differences in rpm names and services enabled.
3) Install the new packages and create a template cache
4) Continue as normal

Right now I'm working on part 1. I've noticed that in the vzrpm4x, for the sections that were added to handle building the python support there are references to a tool called alternatives. I suspect that this is used to setup how the different versions of python are used?

Any ideas on where to get this tool, if it is available? Or what exactly it does?

Also would the project be interested in having the results which should provide vzrpm42 packages?

--
Regards,
Darragh Bailey

Systems Software Engineer
Hewlett Packard Galway Ltd.
+353 91 75-4674

Postal Address:    Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway
Registered Office: Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, 63-74 Sir John Rogerson's Quay Dublin 2
Registered Number: 361933