[Users] IPv6 ??

Thorsten Schifferdecker tsd at debian.systs.org
Thu Jan 24 15:57:28 EST 2008

Hi,

for official IPv6 i'm useing sixxs as tunnelbroker,
these steps i've done connect a Debian OpenVZ system
to a IPv6 Network for the VE with a venet0 interface:

1) Setup an IPv6 Tunnel (-> https://noc.sixxs.net/ )

Relevant IPv6 settings in "/etc/network/interfaces"
[...]
# device: sixxs ipv6 tunnel with static IPv6
auto sixxs
iface sixxs inet6 v4tunnel
    address <your_assigned_IPv6_ADDRESS>
    netmask 64
    endpoint <IPv4_ADDRESS_of_tunnelbroker>
    ttl 64
    up ip link set mtu 1280 dev sixxs
    up ip route add default via <IPv6_ADDRESS_of_tunnelbroker> dev sixxs
[...]

VE_0$ ifup sixxs

2) Setup OpenVZ with IPv6 :

# enable IPv6 forwarding for all Interfaces
VE_0$ sysctl -q -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

# enable IPv6 in /etc/vz/vz.conf -> IPV6="yes"
# and restart OpenVZ Subsystem, so venet has a IPv6 Address
VE_0$ /etc/init.d/vz restart

# give a VE an IPv6 address, you need a IPv6 subnet (
https://noc.sixxs.net/ )
VE_0$ vzctl set <VEID> --ipadd <IPv6_ADDRESS> [--yes]

3) Test it
If you connected to an official IPv6 network, you can test it, by pinging
debian.systs.org ( 2001:6f8:109a::1a01 ) or visit IPv6 sites like
http://www.kame.net and see the dancing turtle ;-)

Bye,
 Thorsten
--