[Users] OpenVZ Kernel and VMware Server on same Host

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Sat Jan 19 04:46:58 EST 2008

Hi all,

I installed centos 5 with OpenVZ, running about 5 VE´s. As there is still one win 2003 server to run, I installed vmware server on the same host. As the system is quite fast (quadcore xeon, 4gb memory, 2 hardware raids) and the load not very high I did not see any problems till now.

Within the windows guest, I run veritas backup exec, using the tape (ultrium) from the host: I backup the windows host and the vzdump tar files from the VE snapshots (with the ralus linux agent, provided by veritas).

This setup could be a smart solution for small companies running linux servers and just some win machines, has anyone tried this also?

It would be interesting what the system will do if the load goes up, what problems will I get and how do I prevent it?

Any feedback is welcome,

Best Regards,

Martin

martin at proxmox.com