[Users] Re: Re: Memory calculations

vaverin vvs at sw.ru
Tue Jan 8 07:42:03 EST 2008

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Blasius wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 21:36
> So, man vzcalc says little more than: (resourses should be resources btw)

thank you, I've fixed this typo

Quote:
> This basically just redefines the terms promised and max, but doesn't relate them to openvz beancounters in any way.
>
> Is this correct?

You can take a look at the sources of vzcalc here:
http://git.openvz.org/?p=vzctl;a=blob;f=src/vzcalc.c;h=073add43e95f173fbe8ffb9e9e4ada405cbf4d51;hb=HEAD
As you can see it is based on the formulas explained in the following article: http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_systemwide_configuration

Quote:
> I think my problems with the above are two things.
> 1. I'm not certain where max comes from and if it does come from the above inferred formulas why it's really useful. I mean it's the maximum of two seemingly independent beancounters. and
> 2. Promised seems like a misleading word (if in fact it does relate to PRIVVMPAGES) since VMGUARPAGES is actually the "allocation guarantee".

At the first glance this utility just checks systemwide configuration. However I tend to agree that "promised" is misleading word here.

thank you,
Vasily Averin