[Users] Re: Memory calculations

Jeff Blasius jeff.blasius at yale.edu
Fri Jan 4 13:36:46 EST 2008

Hello Vaverin,
Yes, believe me, I've read the documentation and it's generally very
good. But, for this particular point I just don't follow it. Maybe
it's just me.

So, man vzcalc says little more than: (resourses should be resources btw)
Promised - shows the resourses soft limit values "promised" for a given VE.
Max - shows the resourses hard limit values "promised" for a given VE.

This basically just redefines the terms promised and max, but doesn't
relate them to openvz beancounters in any way. From my numbers it
appears that
Promised = PRIVVMPAGES * 4096 / Ram + Swap
and
Max = (PRIVVMPAGES * 4096 / Ram + Swap) + Num. Proc

Assuming Num. Proc relates to the beancounter numproc,
Num. Proc = Num. of processes within the VE / 16000 (from
http://wiki.openvz.org/Numproc#numproc)
Is this correct?

I think my problems with the above are two things.
1. I'm not certain where max comes from and if it does come from the
above inferred formulas why it's really useful. I mean it's the
maximum of two seemingly independent beancounters. and
2. Promised seems like a misleading word (if in fact it does relate to
PRIVVMPAGES) since VMGUARPAGES is actually the "allocation guarantee".

Thanks,
                 jeff