[Users] fake swap != 0 in VE?

Thomas Sattler sattler at med.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Feb 11 15:42:38 EST 2008

Alexander Prinsier wrote:
> 1) I's say that software sucks. You better somehow disable the check,
> even if it requires editing the code.

It's a closed source application, I can't do anything here. This
really sucks. Perhaps its developers will have a look, perhaps
they won't. :-/

> 2) Perhaps you could use a file as swap instead of a normal swap
> partition (google for that). You can make the size of that file really
> small. However I'm really not so sure that you can mount a swap file in
> openvz. It's worth a try.

I know about swapfiles. But swap is a system global thing and
must be done in the HN not in the VE's:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=1M count=32
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.075684 seconds, 443 MB/s

# mkswap swap
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 33550 kB

# swapon swap
swapon: swap: Operation not permitted

BTW: The HN uses swap:

# cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/md1                                partition       3903672 0       -1

It's only that the VE's don't know about that. So I need to
tell them -- or fake it. That's what I asked for.

Thomas