[Users] Updated Fedora metadata package for vzpkg2

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Mon Dec 1 21:47:19 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Dowdle" <dowdle at montanalinux.org>
To: "openvzusers" <users at openvz.org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:03 AM
Subject: [Users] Updated Fedora metadata package for vzpkg2

> Greetings,
>
> Just wanted to mention that Robert Nelson released (on Nov. 30th) an
> updated OS Template Metadata package for Fedora that now includes Fedora
> 10 i386/x86_64 in the small, minimal and default flavors.

Scott, you're jumping the gun a bit there ;-).  I'm in the process of
releasing updated templates.  I have the rpm ones done and tested but I
haven't built and tested the debs yet.

> Robert... question for you... and this is probably covered in the man page
> but I thought I'd ask here so others could benefit from your answer...
>
> Let's say that I want to use vzpkg2 to build all of my OS Templates but
> I'd like to create OS Templates for both my own consumption (using my
> local pkg-cacher) and for mass consumption (not using my local
> pkg-cacher).  Is there a vzpkgcache flag that I can use to turn on and off
> usage of pkg-cacher?

Hmm, I hadn't given much thought to that scenario.  I sort of anticipated
that folks would share the metadata packages rather than the built
templates.

It isn't all that hard to do.  The vzpkg.conf is just a shell script that
defines two variables, the first one specifies the repository data for the
creation of the template and the second is the contents of the vzpkg.repo
file that is installed in the template.  I'll add a flag to vzpkgcache to
skip the creation of vzpkg.repo and not rename the distribution supplied
repo files to .disabled.  On debian based distributions I'll do the same
with the sources.list.