[Users] Re: ovzkernel-xen ?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sat Aug 23 04:56:47 EDT 2008

Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> writes:

> My question is why you'd want to use both. What particular need or
> deployment scenario would require Xen and OpenVZ together?

This example is probably more typically done with VMWare today, but I
bet Xen would like a piece of the pie:

A company declares that all machines must run VMWare, so that the IT
department gets the ability to migrate, consolidate on physical
servers, do snapshot backups and all the other nifty things that
VMWare can do. You're in some other department, so you ask IT for a
VMWare guest, and then you put OpenVZ on it just to make
administration easier for you (no more multi-purpose machines) without
having to ask IT for a new instance all the time.

Note that you can't replace VMWare with OpenVZ in this scenario: the
guests won't run the same OS. You also can't replace OpenVZ with
VMWare, because VMWare guests can't host VMWare guests (and it would
be very resource intensive even if they could).

/Benny