[Users] Using multicast in virtual servers

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Sep 25 23:18:46 EDT 2007

Kirill Korotaev <dev at sw.ru> writes:

> Is the same setup working without openvz?  Have you used multicast
> before? Multicast is a bit complex to set up, requires support from
> routers/switches etc., so this might well be not openvz-related.  But
> we setting up this test case right now to check ourselfes.
>
> Can you please also provide a bit more information about your
> configuration like whether you use bridge for veth-eth0 traffic
> bridging or routed networking, any configuration options (including
> sysctl) you used/changed etc.?

One thing that is worth noting: I found a bug in the ... veth code, I
think, where it wouldn't pass a multicast packet through.  The code
checked with the 'is_broadcast' flag, for a matching mac, and assumed
that anything else was not for this host.

Perhaps this is a similar issue?  I can try to dig out the fault report
if it helps, but at the time it was simply changing is_broadcast to
include an is_multicast test on the Ethernet MAC.

Regards,
        Daniel

I hope that actually helps. :)
--