[Users] Filesystem size limit in the vzquota system ?

VALLET Matthieu matthieu.vallet at renault.com
Mon May 21 05:27:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

Vasily Tarasov a écrit :
>> Is there a size limit for the filesystem of an OpenVZ virtual server,
>> with quota enabled?
>

> There is no such limit. Actually I don't quite understand your phrase
> "progressively increase its (filesystems) size (with rsync for
> example)". Do you mean that you just add files to this filesystem and
> consequently the amount of busy blocks is increasing?
> The most common reason of the error: "vzquota : (error) Quota on syscall
> for 123: Device or resource busy" is the presence of Linux disk quota on
> the filesystem where vzquota is trying to start. Check it, please.

I've just checked the filesystem: there is no standard linux disk quota
activated.

Furthermore, I guess that if it was the case, we could not use OpenVZ
quota for the two (small) virtual servers that works without any problem.

So, let me summarize what we found:
- we created three virtual servers, based on the debian 3.1 template;
- we set OpenVZ quota for each virtual server filesystem;
- in one of the three servers, we added a directory that we want to
share with Samba; this directory contains about 60 Gb of data;
- the two "small" servers start without any problem while the "big" one
gives us the mentionned error (Quota on syscall...);
- if we delete the big directory, the "big" server starts;
- if we then recreate this directory while the server is running and
fill it with the 60 Gb of data, with rsync, the vzquota tool shows the
right figures and the server runs normally;
- if we reboot the physical host afterwards, the "big" server cannot be
restarted as it shows the same error (Quota on syscall...).

We use a Red Hat 4 system, with a 2.6.9-023stab043.2-enterprise kernel.
The version of vzctl is 3.0.16, and vzquota's is 2.5.0.

Thanks for your help.

Matthieu Vallet.

Ce message ainsi que les eventuelles pieces jointes constituent une correspondance privee et confidentielle a l'attention exclusive du destinataire designe ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire du present message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui delivrer, il vous est signifie que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cette transmission est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expediteur par telephone ou de lui retourner le present message, puis d'effacer immediatement ce message de votre systeme.
***
This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from your system.