[Users] trouble booting with FC6-64

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu May 3 04:59:03 EDT 2007

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> The latest:
> During his experiments last night with CentOS, he installed the kernel and
> it actually frooze during boot. He then manually downloaded and installed
> the SMP kernel, and it worked A-OK. So, we're wondering whether "'yum
> install ovzkernel" was installing an inappropriate kernel for a 8-CPU
> machine.

Yum doesn't know anything special about the kernels (aside from the fact
they should be installed, not upgraded; also some yum setups care to
deinstall very old kernel packages). So it's up to the user to decide
which kernel to use. I have just checked installation instructions on
wiki (http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation#Kernel_installation) and
they clearly tell a user to select the proper kernel, see:

      Using yum

Run the following command

# yum install ovzkernel[-flavor]

Here |[-flavor]| is optional, and can be |-smp| or |-enterprise|. Refer
to kernel flavors <http://wiki.openvz.org/Kernel_flavors> for more info.