[Users] trouble booting with FC6-64

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Wed May 2 11:04:19 EDT 2007

The latest:
During his experiments last night with CentOS, he installed the kernel and
it actually frooze during boot. He then manually downloaded and installed
the SMP kernel, and it worked A-OK. So, we're wondering whether "'yum
install ovzkernel" was installing an inappropriate kernel for a 8-CPU
machine.

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> You may need to press Alt-SysRq-P and Alt-SysRq-T and collect the output.
> this will dump the required info about whether kernel hangs.

I'll let him know. Since I always work on remote systems, I've never even
gotten to use the magic key!

Vasily Tarasov wrote:
> what OpenVZ kernel version do you use?
> Have you compiled the kernel by your self or you have used a rpm
> package?
> What FC6 kernel version does boot smoothly?

I wrote up the install procedure for 32-bit systems, but now he's trying
it on a 64-bit system, so...

The troublesome one is the RPM, installed via "yum install ovzkernel"
under FC6-64 Doing this same thing on 32-bit works perfectly.