[Users] OpenVZ vs. vserver

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Mar 27 14:39:41 EDT 2007

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Kir Kolyshkin <kir at openvz.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> As per my experience porting to powerpc platform, OpenVZ is easily
>> portable, i.e. it is 95% platform-independent code (not counting the
>> checkpointing functionality, which IS very platform-specific).
>>

> we probably won't need checkpointing, so I hope it will run
> on mips ...
>

>> So, if somebody needs OpenVZ for some currently unsupported platform
>> (say, ARM), they can either do a port themselves, or provide us with a
>> couple of boxes and we will do the port.
>>

> maybe I'll have a look at it in a few weeks.

See http://wiki.openvz.org/Porting_the_kernel

Also, you can look up http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.18-openvz for
patches with PPC prefix in commit subject -- those enable OpenVZ for
powerpc arch. Same for sparc -- check for commits from OpenVZ team
members with [SPARC] prefix. There are less than ten patches for each arch.