[Users] 1/2 OT: installing vz images remotely

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Thu Mar 22 11:56:04 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I've hired some openVZ based virtual servers and I'd like to build
my whole image with an sysroot'ed (cross-)toolchain - what comes
out is an tarball with the complete system image.

The problem: the providers don't allow to pull in own templates,
just reinstall from their prebuilt images (ie. stripped down
debian, redhat or suse).

My idea was to build an statically linked busybox and some little
shell script, which just wipes out the existing system and unpacks
my tarball.

Has anyone already did this ? Any hints for that ?

thx