[Users] OpenVZ hosting RedHat Enterprise Linux, up2date.

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jan 9 22:54:47 EST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> G'day.  We are looking at hosting a RHEL4 VE, which has worked fairly
> well so far.  The one issue we have is that we want to be able to obtain
> security updates within the VE since this will be an Internet facing
> system.
>
> Now, as far as I am aware the only mechanism for doing this is to use
> the up2date tool to fetch patches from the RedHat Network system.[1]
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the up2date tool is easy to install
> in a RHEL OpenVZ VE -- it conflicts with some of the dummy packages
> we cloned from the CentOS setup, and may cause us other problems.
>

> So, can anyone advise me on how we should proceed here please:
>
> Should we try to get up2date running in the VE?
>
> Is there some mechanism for using vzyum to drive up2date and manage
> network repositories for RHEL VEs?
>
> Is there some other mechanism we should be investigating?

Try using mrepo to download updates and create our yown repository. This
way you can provide RHN packages from a local mirror that vzyum can use.

See:
	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

Unfortunately mrepo does use up2date libraries to access RHN. We have a
modified vzyum (dubbed vzapt) that uses apt instead of yum.

> Footnotes:
> [1]  We will have a full licence, etc, for this.

Good as that is required for mrepo to work :)

Kind regards,