[Users] OpenVZ hosting RedHat Enterprise Linux, up2date.

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jan 8 23:00:10 EST 2007

G'day.  We are looking at hosting a RHEL4 VE, which has worked fairly
well so far.  The one issue we have is that we want to be able to obtain
security updates within the VE since this will be an Internet facing
system.

Now, as far as I am aware the only mechanism for doing this is to use
the up2date tool to fetch patches from the RedHat Network system.[1]

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the up2date tool is easy to install
in a RHEL OpenVZ VE -- it conflicts with some of the dummy packages
we cloned from the CentOS setup, and may cause us other problems.

So, can anyone advise me on how we should proceed here please:

Should we try to get up2date running in the VE?

Is there some mechanism for using vzyum to drive up2date and manage
network repositories for RHEL VEs?

Is there some other mechanism we should be investigating?

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  We will have a full licence, etc, for this.

--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/