[Users] strange problem with nagios nrpe server

Steve Wray steve.wray at cwa.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 15:19:41 EST 2007

Hi there,
I just took some filesystems from servers which have been running under
Xen for some time and converted them to openvz.

I've found a very strange issue.

We monitor our servers with Nagios and each server runs the Nagios nrpe
server.

Our config system for Nagios involves several Nrpe config files in
/etc/nagios/nrpd.d/ and a config directive in nrpe.cfg pointing to this
directory with:

include_dir=/etc/nagios/nrpe.d

I have found that while this directive works under Xen this does not
work under openvz.

I've tested this by taking the filesystem back and forth between Xen and
Openvz and it is definitely only a problem in Openvz.

Also, our VMs are running Debian.

Debian Etch does not exhibit this problem; only Debian Sarge.

I'm at a loss to explain this... it seems really wierd.

/proc/user_beancounters shows no failcnt for anything.

Surely I am missing something here? Any advice on debugging this would
be appreciated.

Thanks