[Users] Venet's ips disappearing...

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Mon Dec 3 07:57:50 EST 2007

Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
>>this can happen if some hotplug/udev event has happened and removed the routes
>>in host node. check /var/log/messages for any kind of events like eth link DOWN/UP,
>>DHCP lease reacquiring etc.
>
>  I can't find anything like that, BUT I can correllate those events ( ie
> direct route entries in route table disappearing ) with network problems,
> but this shouldn't be visible to the host ( things like upstream provider
> loosing link, snow severely slowing down radio uplink etc ).
>  This seems strange, and identical routes created by hand, and not by vz
> stay in place. This looks very much like vz is doing this, so this mail is
> a broadcast - did anyone else see something like this or something
> similiar?
>
>  The funny part is that it happens only on freshly installed dev machine
> and not on machines I'm actually using;)

Hm... this is quite interesting...

Does it often happens?
I'm aware only of 2 places where routing can be removed:
1. hotplug, which I mentioned already.
   maybe some other "clever" daemon running on your system?
   RIP/OCFS?
2. OVZ crontab sript which should delete dead routes.
   can you check this one as well?

All I can suggest for debugging is to:
1. replace ip and route commands with a wrapper which logs the exact
   commands and when/who called them.
2. add similar debug to kernel.

BTW... does your host system uses DHCP or static IP assigned?

Thanks,
Kirill