[Users] /dev/fd/3

Steve Hodges shodges at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 14 04:17:29 EDT 2007

On 14/08/2007 1:58 AM, Gregor Mosheh wrote:

> Or perhaps your VE has maxed out the number of FDs it's allowed to
> have? Check the /proc/user_beancounters and see if anything there is
> happening to shed light on whether the failure is VE-related.

Here is what I see, including the beancounters immediately after

Executing 'mkisofs -C 106736,113120 -M /dev/fd/3 -R -J -pad
-graft-points /2007-08-14__12-07-50=/home/archive/image | builtin_dd
of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=7070'
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/fd/3'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Unable to open previous session
image '/dev/fd/3'.
:-( mkisofs has failed: 2
***image written
***error writing to DVD. You may need another DVD
root at backup:/# cat /proc/user_beancounters
Version: 2.5
       uid  resource           held    maxheld    barrier      limit
failcnt
      111:  kmemsize         509969     691152    2752512
2936012          0
            lockedpages           0       8905      30000
30000          0
            privvmpages        1778      18792     100000
200000          0
            shmpages              0          0       8192
8192          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            numproc              10         14         65
65          0
            physpages          1112       9981          0
2147483647          0
            vmguarpages           0          0       6144
2147483647          0
            oomguarpages       1112       9981       6144
2147483647          0
            numtcpsock            3          3         80
80          0
            numflock              1          2        100
110          0
            numpty                1          1         16
16          0
            numsiginfo            0          2        256
256          0
            tcpsndbuf             0          0     319488
524288          0
            tcprcvbuf             0          0     319488
524288          0
            othersockbuf       2220       2904     132096
336896          0
            dgramrcvbuf           0          0     132096
132096          0
            numothersock          2          4        120
120          0
            dcachesize            0          0    1048576
1097728          0
            numfile             237        317       2048
2048          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            numiptent            10         10        128
128          0

the lines flagged with *** come from my script.

the relevant lines of the script are:

# create a path on the dvd
writedate=$(date +%Y-%m-%d__%H-%M-%S)

# burn files to dvd (either new or append) in timestamped directory
# might be a good idea to log this fact too.
err=
case "$dvdstatus" in
  blank)
    growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -R -J -pad -graft-points
"/${writedate}=${image}" || err=Y
    ;;

  appendable)
    growisofs -M /dev/hdc -R -J -pad -graft-points
"/${writedate}=${image}" || err=Y
    ;;

  *)
    echo Internal error deciding how to write to dvd
    exit 1
    ;;

esac
echo image written

# if error then send email and ask for new dvd (reporting error too)
if [[ "$err" == "Y" ]]; then
  echo error writing to DVD.  You may need another DVD
  eject
  exit 1
fi

(clearly the script isn't complete yet :-)

>> I also find that whilst I have made /dev/hdc available to my VE, I
>> can't mount the cdrom.  It tells me
>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'udf'
>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'
>
> For a CDROM, iso9660 is usually appropriate. Are you sure that that
> module is already loaded in the hardware node? A lot of distros leave
> iso9660 as a module and VEs cannot load kernel modules.
>
> Do a "modprobe iso9660" in the HN, to ensure that the module is
> loaded. Then try mounting the CD in the VE.

modprobe iso9660 seems to work on the hardware node, however lsmod |
grep iso shown only
isofs                  21348  0

(which my googling suggests may actually me the right thing to see.)

nevertheless, I can
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0
whereapon I get
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
and df, in part, reports
/dev/hdc                   458       458         0 100% /media/cdrom0
/etc/fstab on the HN contains:
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I then umount /dev/hdc and go into the ve (which has access to hdc via
vzctl set $1 --devnodes hdc:rw --save)
it's /etc/fstab looks like this:
# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
if I do this:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0
I get this:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'