[Users] RT priority processes in a VE.

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Mon Apr 23 12:42:38 EDT 2007

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> G'day.  I am using OpenVZ to split a few servers for security and
> management reasons -- all the VE environments are run by me and trusted
> and all that.
>
> As part of this I want to run some software in the VE with real-time
> priority threads (Asterisk, possibly other software) in our system.
>
> Unfortunately I can't work out what settings, if any, make it possible
> to permit this inside the VE and reading the kernel patch didn't help.
>
> Is it possible to run a process with FIFO scheduling priority in a VE?

first, it requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability, which maybe insecure to grant to VE.
see sched_setscheduler() for details. You can relax this check if required.

next, FIFO priority inside VE affects one particular VE only.
i.e. these tasks won't behave as FIFO compared to other VE processes and will share
CPU time with other VEs according to VE cpuuints.

Thanks,
Kirill